Western, US Travel Diary

Day 7—San Francisco, CA

Get ready, this is a long one.

Here’s the short of it:

  • 7:30am – Left for San Francisco
  • 8:45am – Arrived at Beachside for breakfast
  • 9:30am – Arrive at the Pacific Ocean to touch it for the first time
  • 10:00am – Drove across the Golden Gate Bridge
  • 10:30am – Arrived to Muir Woods
  • 11:45am – Made our way to SF
  • 12:00pm – Stopped at the Golden Gate Bridge to take pics
  • 12:30pm – Drove around SF making little stops along the way to see touristy things
  • 1:30pm – Arrived to Fisherman’s Wharf, saw the sea lions at Pier 39
  • 2:00pm – Had late lunch at Boudin’s
  • 3:45pm – Headed to Pier 33 to get on the boat to Alcatraz
  • 4:30pm – Arrived at Alcatraz and went on a tour
  • 6:45pm – Left Alcatraz
  • 7:30pm – Drove around for an hour trying to find parking
  • 8:30pm – Found one spot on the steepest hill I’ve ever encountered
  • 9:00pm – Couldn’t agree on a place to eat, so settled for ice cream at Bi-Rite
  • 10:00pm – Left for San Jose

We hopped in Kevin’s car at 7:30am this morning and made our way to San Francisco, or as the locals call it, The City. We made it to an area called Sunset around 8:45am and had breakfast at a little cafe called Beachside. It was super close to the beach (hence the name). This little cafe was so hipster and SO Californian. I had a salted caramel latte and a Belgian waffle with fruit. Eric had some breakfast sandwich that he ate before I could get a picture.

After breakfast, we made our way to the Pacific Ocean because I had never seen it before. I should mention that the whole time we were in California it rained. So it was a foggy mess all over San Francisco. When we arrived to the beach, it was more of the same. However, I did get some cool shots of the fog hazing over the big cliff side and rocks jutting out of the ocean. Also, I got a little eager and misjudged the forcefulness of the waves coming ashore. All I heard was, “Lauryn watch it… WATCH OUT!” It was too late; shoes were soaked. It’s ok though; I was blessed by the Pacific.

We left the beach a little soggy, but happy! On we went to Muir woods.

The drive up was SO windy (the squiggly kind, not the blustery kind). When we finally reached Muir Woods, it was drizzling a bit harder unfortunately. Neither Eric nor I brought any rain gear with us, so I had my one jacket with a hood and Kevin brought an umbrella that Eric used.

It’s incredible how enormous those trees are. I tried to get as many pictures as I could with people in them so you could see just how big they are.

We stayed here for almost 2 hours, then we were on our way to the city. Along the way, we stopped to walk under the Golden Gate Bridge, then get some pictures with it.

Walking under the bridge

Just 2 bros having a blast
The city!

As we got closer to the city, it really became clear just how different San Francisco is. Some cities you go to and it’s just like the others; nothing special that sets them apart from all the other huge cities. Not San Francisco. The massive hills, the beautiful homes; it is a city all its own.

Our next stop on Kevin’s Krazy Kalifornia Tour was the Painted Ladies. Beautiful homes, cool to see in person, probably won’t ever do it again if we ever come back.

Next, we made a quick stop to see the Full House house!

So cool to see something that represents a piece of my childhood!

The tour continued to Lombard street! We passed by tons of people crowded around the top of Lombard as we made our way down the curvy street.

View from the top!
That is someone’s garage. On Lombard Street. What?!

We had seen pretty much everything we could see in 5 minutes or less, so we made our way to Fisherman’s Wharf. What keeps your car dry and cleans out your wallet all at the same time? A parking garage in California. It was $3 per 15 min. OH but they were so kind and capped the fee at $45. Que the biggest eye-roll you’ve ever seen.

We walked out of the garage almost straight on to Pier 39. There was this cute walkway over the road connected to the garage which was so convenient. We briefly walked through the little shops then immediately found the sea lions! They were so cute (and a little smelly). It was also neat because Karl the Fog was rolling in at the same time. Side note: If you’ve ever been to San Francisco, you know they get some wicked looking fog that rolls in every now and then. If you haven’t, take a gander at my sea lion pictures to see what I’m talking about. At some point, someone named this fog Karl. Karl has his own Twitter. Enjoy!



This fluffy lion struck a pose for me

Once the sea lions were done with us, we moved on in search of food. We walked all over the Wharf and it was just seafood after seafood. There were a couple places that had burgers, but I wasn’t wanting that. There was a place we passed earlier called Boudin and they had the word SOURDOUGH on their sign. I forced Eric and Kevin in to eating here and it did not disappoint! We all got soup in sourdough bread bowls. Eric got clam chowder and Kevin and I got tomato. We also got half sandwiches to go along with them, but I can’t remember what they were.


My tomato basil soup



Eric’s clam chowder



It was getting close to our Alcatraz tour time, so we wrapped up our late lunch and started walking to Pier 33. Alcatraz was so amazing, it deserves its own post, so I’m dividing this day! See the next post for our awesome and spooky Alcatraz adventure.


Let's talk travel! Add to the conversation or tell me hello here...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.