I am so honored to have been nominated for the 2017 Liebester Award by the incredible Haley from Love N Luggage. Haley is a fellow travel blogger who shares her awesome tips for traveling around the world. She’s been to 25 countries (and counting)… how amazing is that?!
So what is the Liebster Award, you ask? This is an award created in 2011 by Jack from The Global Aussie to help new bloggers get more exposure for their excellent content. It is driven by bloggers promoting the blogs they believe deserve to be recognized which is why I am so honored to have been chosen by Haley this year!
As a nominee, I’ve been asked to answer 10 questions about myself. So here it goes!
1. If you could take someone with you in your travels, who would it be?
Not including my husband (who travels with me everywhere I go) I would take my mom, Nel. She has always instilled the spirit of adventure in me and I would love to share the world with her if I could!
2. What/Who inspires you to travel this world?
Going back to my answer to the first question, my mom. I’ve always been curious about the world and I don’t think that’s an accident. I have a need to wander and I believe she is the one that I got that from! I am also driven to travel by a need to experience other cultures. Learning and being immersed in another culture that I’ve never experienced before is unlike anything else and I can’t get enough!
3. What is the best memory that you have while travelling?
This is so hard. I think one of the best memories was our first night in Zermatt, Switzerland. We had just arrived by train around 3:00pm. The weather was so great so we decided to up to the Gornergrat (a great spot to see the Matterhorn at around 10,000ft). We bought sandwiches from a little shop, packed a bag, and went to watch the sunset. It was SO cold, but sitting on a ledge, eating our sandwiches, watching the sunset behind the Matterhorn is something I will never ever forget. It was truly a priceless experience. (read more about that day here)
4. If you could give someone $1,000,000 who would you give it to?
Oh my gosh this is really hard! Can I split it? I’m breaking the rules. I’d split it equally between my mom, dad, and sister. I can’t pick just one of them because they are all equally precious to me.
5. How has traveling changed your life?
Do you have something you’re truly passionate about? Is there something that lights you up inside and makes you feel euphoric? This is what traveling does for me. Being able to do what I’m passionate about (even if it’s not as much as I would like) is something I am so grateful for. It makes me happy, gives me memories I wouldn’t trade anything for, and overall makes me a better person.
6. Would you rather explore the deep ocean or outer space?
I just read an article on how big space is and how completely insignificant Earth is, so I’m going to go with deep ocean. Space is scary! At least with deep ocean I might discover a new species of fish!
7. What’s your favorite part about being a blogger?
There are so many reasons I love being a blogger, but the main reason is because I love telling people about our experiences around the world! Before I created a blog, after a trip I would post a ton of pictures on Facebook with captions on each picture explaining what we did. I realized no one ever read the captions because people would actually comment on the pictures asking questions that I had already answered in the caption. Now with my blog I can share so much more about where we go and what we do. I get so excited when I get to write a new post. The writing comes so easy to me when I’m writing about something I’m passionate about!
8. What words of wisdom can you share with other bloggers?
Be yourself. Don’t try to fit in a mold of what you think everyone wants to see in a blog because then your content won’t be authentic. Stay true to who you are and what your writing style is. I have always loved writing, but I was consistently discouraged in school. I would have teachers/professors who either loved or hated my writing. It was confusing and disheartening. Finally, now that I can understand that literature is completely objective, I am writing freely. I’m no longer writing for the person reading, I’m writing for myself and hoping that my readers enjoy what I have to say. I think it’s going pretty well so far!
9. If you could move anywhere in the world tomorrow, where would you go and why?
Switzerland. It’s expensive and I don’t know German, but my goodness that country is heaven on earth. Stick me on a farm in the middle of the Swiss Alps and I’ll figure out the rest.
10. What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done while traveling?
I’ve done quite a few things that have surprised my friends, family, and even myself while traveling. I think most recently it was paragliding in Switzerland. I honestly didn’t think I could do it and then there I was floating down from a mountain. It was terrifying, but I’m so glad I did it. I always say that I try to be fearless when I travel because that’s half of the adventure. To be able to tell people that I went paragliding in the Swiss Alps is the coolest thing!
The Liebster Award is so great because it helps people discover incredible blogs they might not ever see otherwise. One blog I truly enjoy reading is by Chloe Gibson from Journey with Chloe. She is a vegan travel blogger from Belfast and just recently moved to Australia. I’ve been following her journey practically since I started my blogging journey. She is an inspiration and I’ve learned so much from her through our virtual friendship! If you are a vegetarian or vegan, she helps make traveling so much easier with her recommendations.
Now here are the travel blogs I am nominating for this year’s award:
1. Journey with Chloe: Chloe is a vegan traveler from Belfast currently living in Australia. Her posts are so well written and give the best advice for traveling. I can’t wait to see what she writes next! IG:journey.with.chloe
2.Dr. Farida Israil: Farida is a dental surgeon living in Dubai. Her blog is full of incredible posts about her travels around the world as well as some really informative lifestyle tips. She lives an amazing life and has an equally amazing blog! IG:faridaisrail
3.Never Settle Travel: Donna is an expert in creating trips to fit the working person’s lifestyle. Not all of us can just quit what we do to travel the world (myself included). She is currently blogging about her trip to Switzerland. Her pictures and posts are so well done! IG:neversettle_travel
4. The Fernweh State: Courtney’s travel blog will make you ready to jump in a plane and go somewhere beautiful! Her destinations are incredible and her photos are drop dead gorgeous. I especially love her most recent post with the lavender fields! She has a twin sister, Madison, who shares her adventures too on occasion! IG:thefernwehstate
5. Ann Wanderlusting: Anna is a traveler based in New York with a never ending bucket list. You can feel her passion for traveling through her wonderful blog posts. I can’t wait to read about where she ends up next! IG:ann_wanderlusting
For those I’ve nominated, here are your 10 questions. Ready, set, go!
1. What’s your favorite thing about traveling?
2. Where is your next travel destination?
3. What is your most favorite experience you’ve had while traveling?
4. What is your favorite country you’ve visited so far and why?
5. What do you do when you’re not traveling?
6. If you could only take 3 things with you on your travels, what would they be and why?
7. If you could travel anywhere in the world tomorrow, where would you go and why?
8. What inspired you to start blogging?
9. Do you prefer traveling at a fast pace or slow and relaxed?
10. What is your greatest achievement so far in life?
Thank you again to Haley at Love N Luggage for the nomination. I hope you enjoyed learning a little more about me!